The citizens of Natick, Massachusetts are $1 million in taxes poorer as cleanup of asbestos-containing materials (ACM) buried on the site of a future fire station was unearthed during construction. But why were they found on what was otherwise an empty lot and how did they get there? It’s important to understand how the legacy of asbestos and a lack of following federal and state guidelines not only create a costly problem but also potentially endangers the lives of everyone involved, knowing or not. [Read more…] about Natick: What Happens When Asbestos Isn’t Properly Disposed Of
Part of buying or selling a home usually entails a home inspection – an in-depth survey of a home foundation, structure, systems (such as HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), and more. While not all home inspections are equal or even thorough, each can turn up something wrong with the home. Some will be small problems or simply good point to negotiate a price for the home, but others can pose a bigger risk. Today let’s look at what happens if a home inspection turns up asbestos. [Read more…] about What to Do If A Home Inspection Turns Up Asbestos
Does your home breath? It might seem like a weird question, but the circulation of air into, around, and out of your home is a critical part of the wellness of your home and everyone in them. Normally, between open windows, AC, and house venting, airflow comes into your home and avoid leading to air recirculation and dead air zones. However, in winter, your home can easily become locked down, leading to higher humidity, a lack of fresh air, and mold growth causes. [Read more…] about Mold Growth Causes: Is Your Home Breathing in Winter?
Everyone wants to make sure their kids grow up strong and healthy. The last thing they want is for hazardous materials and conditions children can be exposed to cause life-long life or health issues, or even death. Among other hazardous materials found in homes, businesses, and childcare facilities such as schools and daycares is asbestos. It’s important to understand the specific risks that asbestos exposure can cause to infants and children. [Read more…] about Is Asbestos Exposure More Dangerous to Children and Infants?
Every day we’re exposed to smells that would make us sick with long exposure: chemical fumes like the hydrocarbons in car exhaust or the waft of decay from garbage cans or dumpsters. However, the biggest risks to your health are those things you can’t smell – sometimes because you slowly become accustomed to the smell or they have no smell at all because they are always with you in your own home. Today we’re going to look at one of those home health risks that grow on their own, bioaerosols, and how mold is one of the leading causes of them. [Read more…] about How Mold Causes Bioaerosols and Why They Make You Sick
In older schools and other childcare facilities, there’s a chance that asbestos is present. Especially in larger schools, the presence of asbestos in the structure and insulation of these public facilities is high. It’s important as a parent to know as much as you can about the state of schools your children attend, and there are resources out there. Learn about how AHERA (Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act) guidelines provide regulations for your schools to follow, including documentation on asbestos inspections and abatement. [Read more…] about Dealing with Asbestos in Schools: Investigation and Abatement